Saturday 10 December 2011

David Sawyer

The band I play in is called The Chill Acoustic. My instrument is the Electrokord. It is hand built, based on the African thumb piano, tuned in major and minor triads, solid bodied with electromagnetic and piezo pickups, and played with fingers. The evolution of this instrument began in 1991 although I have been making instruments since 1966. My role in the band is harmony and rhythm. My fellow musicians improvise around me on electric guitar, electric viola and percussion. I also play with Heart n Soul and will be performing with them in the Clore Ballroom at the Royal Festival Hall 2nd Dec.

In 2007 I began constructing forms using bamboo and wood and applying household paints. Other materials include canvas, foam and steel. My building techniques have developed from instrument making, and studies in art and architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment